Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Mr./Ms. TSA Agent I'm Ready for My Closeup

Visiting tomorrow. I'm dreading it. My stomach tightens up in the morning when I remember what day it is. Anxiety. About all of it. But hey, I'm completely ready for my next flight and going through the TSA airport security lines. At every visit I go through 2 metal detectors, my bag through x-ray and I'm wanded before I go into the visiting room.

One of those metal detectors is extremely sensitive. I mean this thing is so sensitive that people walk  near, not through, it and set it off. It's become a challenge to me to beat the metal detector. It's stupid things that help keep your sanity. I now know what metal every piece of clothing I own contains, in my glasses, and ear rings. I know what will and what won't set it off.

Now I'm considering going the other way, how much metal can I wear before wanding detects it so that the agent/officer asks me what I'm wearing. Getting wanded used to intimidate me. Now I know the men won't wand you as closely as a woman. Women wand a lot closer to the skin. I suspect it may be opposite if you're a man. Or women don't want to be accused of not doing their job.

But you never get used to the heavy metal doors shutting behind you. And you don't get used to trying hard not to cry as you leave. Dignity. You're just trying to reach dignity before you get to the bus stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment