Every day objects have the possibility of gut punching you at unexpected moments.
I went to Fred Meyer's last night to pick up some milk. Standing in the express lane probably lasted 3 to 4 minutes. But the checkout lady was wearing blue latex gloves. It sucker punched me. I just want to scream at her to take them off. They are the same gloves that the security guards put on just before they escort a kid out of the visiting room to strip search them. "How are you? Did you find everything ok?" In my head, "Horrible, horrible, horrible. Take the damn things off", but politely "Good, thanks. Yes, more as always."
C. used to have a neon yellow shirt he wore quite often. After his first hearing I threw it away. It was the same color as the sweatshirt he was required to wear. You know, it's hard to miss an escaping prisoner in a neon yellow sweatshirt running through a courthouse. I never want to see him in that color again. I never want to see that color again. I'm starting to feel that way about navy blue now, too. The color of their prison smocks. (More or less they're equivalent to scrubs.)
No comments:
Post a Comment